Thursday, June 3, 2010

My Dad and the Celtics

Watching a little bit of Game 1 of the NBA Finals has caused me to think of my Dad tonight. When I was growing up we used to always watch the Celtics. I saw countless of the classic Bird and Johnson battles. Also the Bird and Laimbeer sagas. I watched Bird's famous steal of the in-bound pass live. Basically, I wanted to be Larry Bird (minus the daisy dukes and the goldilocks). I liked Robert Parish because he was from Louisiana. Of course there was DJ, McHale, and Ainge too.

Eleven years after my dad's death I find I still have moments where I miss him much. Tonight is one of those. I think about him every time I watch the Yankees play. I think about him now watching the Lakers and the Celtics. I wish he were here to watch the games with me and especially to watch them with my children. I know, however, that all that he is experiencing with Christ is far better than whatever happens in a basketball game. I also find once again how thankful I am for Christ's substitutionary atonement and His conquering of the grave. My dad is not here, but he is alive never to taste death again.

Though tonight I have the Celtics and not my Dad, One Day I will have my Dad and all the regenerate Celtics!!! What a great day that will be. And the best part is that day will never end.