Friday, June 4, 2010

Do We Have the Same Burden as Paul?

Gal. 4:19 "My little children, for whom I am again in the anguish of childbirth until Christ is formed in you!" Granted, the middle part of this verse is one of the most unique pictures Paul could use to describe his "labor" on behalf of the Galatians. Moving past the metaphor to the motivation, I wonder if we have the same intensity, the same burden, the same desire to see Christ formed in those that are around us? Do we long to see our neighbors and co-workers and even fellow church members transformed by Christ from the inside out? Does this burden move us to intercession and travailing with the Lord asking Him to open hearts for the Gospel and to crush all reliance upon self of those who have been redeemed? Calvin once said: If ministers wish to do any good, let them labor to form Christ, not to form themselves, in their hearers. Tonight I find myself longing for Christ to be increasingly formed in myself, my family, and the people of CrossPoint. I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.