A couple years ago, I had the privilege of leading the children at CrossPoint through material from Kids 4 Truth that centered on the atonement. Here is some of what I shared with them:
Christ’s atonement met four needs we have as sinners:
1. We deserve to die as the penalty for sin.
2. We deserve to bear God’s wrath against sin.
3. We are separated from God by our sins.
4. We are in bondage to sin and to the kingdom of Satan.
Here’s how Christ’s atonement met the needs above:
1. Sacrifice – Jesus died our death (Heb. 9:26)
2. Propitiation – Jesus took God’s wrath (1 John 4:10)
3. Reconciliation – Jesus brings us back to God (2 Cor. 5:18-19)
4. Redemption – Jesus paid the ransom to set us free (Mark 10:45)